Letting Technology Teach and the Teacher Build Connections

This week I am working on differentiation in my science classes.  The classes are getting larger and there are more needs to be met.  I think technology can be part of the solution.  My main goal is to have all of the students reach proficiency on some basic learning targets such as using the lab equipment correctly and writing detailed observations and inferences.  Some students need extra help with these targets but others are ready to move ahead.  What I tried is listing various activities on the board for students to do in any order and at their own pace.  Two of the activities involved remediating the learning targets that some students haven’t yet met.  Students who are proficient could choose from the other activities. 

Once activity was to watch a short video on a laptop computer.  The students watched and made notes in small groups or individually.  Other students worked on some critical thinking questions that applied what they had learned in the previous lesson.   Another group made measurements in the lab and recorded their data on a website called Edit Grid.  They got feedback from looking at the data entered by other students and could see if they were on the right track.  I worked with small groups who needed extra help with the learning targets, gave them a quick assessment, then allowed them to move on to the other activities. 

Most of the students were engaged and moved from one activity to another but some seemed distracted.  It wasn’t a perfect fix but I was able to help students who needed the one-on-one help while letting the others learn new skills independently.  With all of the great websites and videos available, I think I can shift my role from one of providing content to one of helping kids form connections to what they are learning.  With Edit Grid I was able to go back and see how the students did with their measurements without having to walk around and look in every lab notebook. 

I would love to have feedback about this lesson and see what others are trying as far as differentiating with large classes!  Please feel free to leave a comment!